Hey Snowbirds, Students, and Travelers: You can vote, even if you won’t be at home.


voting day.jpg

The election has been called for Monday October 21.

There are several ways to vote, including options if you are not at home on voting day (see below).

make sure you are registered to vote

You must be registered to vote. Most people are already registered (especially if you checked the box on your income tax return). To confirm you are registered, or to change your information (such as address, or name), go here: https://ereg.elections.ca/CWelcome.aspx?lang=e

For more detailed information on how to register, or to change your information, go here: https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=vot&dir=faq&document=faqreg&lang=e#a2

You may register to vote on Election Day at your polling place, or at the Advance Poll. If you wish to register in person just before voting, please bring identification that proves your identity and your address. For information on acceptable ID, go here: https://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=id&document=index&lang=e.

It is also possible to have someone who knows you and lives in the same poll to vouch for you. That person must have proper ID, and can vouch for only one person. They must accompany you to the voting place.

Regular Voting Day

Election Day will be Monday October 21. We have not yet been given voting locations but they will be posted here when available (Sept 24).

advance polls

You may vote in advance on October 11, 12, 13 or 14. When we have information about location, we will post it here (Sept 24). Advance polls are open 9 AM to 9 PM.

vote anytime in the Returning Office

You may vote at the Returning Office in person until October 15 at 6:00 PM. The Calgary Centre Returning Office is:

Holy Cross Centre
2204 2 Street South-West
Calgary AB T2S 3C2

Hours: 9 AM to 9 PM Mon-Fri; 9 AM to 6 PM Sat; Noon to 4 PM Sun.

You will need to fill out an application for a Special Ballot, and show your identification and proof of address. You may then vote on the spot, or take the kit away and bring it back later.

You must apply prior to 6 PM on Tuesday, October 15.

For more information about voting in the Returning Office using a Special Ballot, go here: https://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=spr&dir=voting&document=votecoff&lang=e


If you normally live in Canada, but will be away from your normal place of residence on Voting day, then you should:

  • Complete an Application for Registration and Special Ballot. The form is available here, at any local Elections Canada office, at any Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate or by calling Elections Canada.

  • Send Elections Canada your completed form and proof of identity and home address. You can submit them by fax, by mail, or in person at any local Elections Canada office. The address for the Calgary Centre Returning Office is noted above. Other Returning Offices can be found here: https://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=vote&dir=locate&document=index&lang=e

  • Once your application is accepted, Elections Canada will send you a special ballot voting kit by regular mail. (If you apply in person, staff will hand you the kit.) The kit explains how to mark your special ballot and mail it in.

  • If you plan to use the mail, please apply early enough to give time for your kit to be mailed, and your ballot to be returned.

voting by mail - if you live outside of Canada

There are new voting rules for Canadians living outside of Canada.

  • Under old rules, Canadians who had lived outside of Canada for more than five years were not allowed to vote.

  • For the 2019 federal election, any eligible Canadian elector who lives abroad may vote, regardless of when they last lived in Canada.

  • To vote, electors living abroad must be registered on the International Register of Electors. To do so, they must provide documents that establish their citizenship.

  • Those who are not registered can apply online or print off an application form and send it to Elections Canada by mail or fax. They may also contact us to be mailed a print copy of the form. Those who are not sure if they are registered can call Elections Canada to check.

  • Elections Canada must receive completed registration applications by Tuesday, October 15 at 6:00 p.m., Eastern time.

  • It is important for electors living abroad to plan ahead. It takes time for application forms to be mailed to Elections Canada and processed, and for voting kits to be mailed back to electors at the international address they provided.

  • Marked ballots must arrive at Elections Canada in Ottawa no later than 6:00 p.m. (Eastern time) on October 21, 2019. Electors should consider the time it will take for their marked ballot to reach Elections Canada.

  • Votes cast by Canadians living abroad count in the electoral district where they last lived before leaving Canada.

If you will be away from home on Voting Day (e.g. students, travelers)

You may vote by Special Ballot - see Voting by Mail above.

Please leave enough time for your voting kit to be mailed to you, and for you to mail back your ballot. Apply early!

You may also pick up and deliver your Special Ballot in person at any Returning Office, regardless of which riding is your home riding. Returning Offices can be found here: https://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=vote&dir=locate&document=index&lang=e

if you are a post-secondary student

If you have identification showing your address where you live while you attend school, you may vote using that identification. You may wish to check the registry to ensure it has the correct address on file, to ease your voting experience.

Some campuses will have voting stations on site on Election Day, but you will need ID showing your on-campus address.

If your identification shows your address at your permanent residence elsewhere, you can vote by mail.

More situations - More questions

If you have a different situation than the above (e.g. are homeless, are living in an extended care home, are a member of the Canadian Forces serving away from home, are in prison), the Elections Canada FAQ page covers most situations. Find it here:


You can also call Elections Canada with your question: find their numbers here: https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=cont&dir=add&document=index&lang=e

To see the kinds of identification that Elections Canada accepts, go here: https://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=id&document=index&lang=e